Re: Linux xHCI compartmentalization

On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 09:20:28PM +0000, Gary Cordelli wrote:
> Sarah:
>
> Thank you for all the great work you put into providing the xHCI driver for USB 3.0 host hardware support in Linux.
>
> Alas, I am stuck with an installed base of platforms that run a 2.6.29.6 kernel that has just absorbed a whole mess of hardware using a different SBC that has a combination of USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 interfaces (where the installed base has all USB 2.0 interfaces).  Ach!  After several tweaks to support the different chipset (GPIO driver, SATA driver, HDA audio driver, and USB2.0-to-serial), I discovered that we could not do without using at least one of the USB 3.0 interfaces.  In looking at the xHCI driver, however, it appears that its tentacles may reach deep into the bowels of Linux - at least looking at recent kernels.
>
> Do you know if there is a kernel release close to the 2.6.29.6 architecture that you would also consider to include a reasonably stable xHCI implementation?  I have looked at 2.6.32.5 briefly, but was given information that this "experimental" xHCI support is not recommended for use.  Frankly, it does not have to be a full-featured implementation (since we are only trying to reproduce/replace a USB 2.0 capability), but it would hopefully be a stable implementation (no unexpected crashes).  Can you advise?

The xHCI driver wasn't really stable for xHCI 1.0 host controllers
(integrated hosts like Intel) until the 3.0 kernel.  I would recommend
installing one of the supported long-term stable kernels like 3.2.

But I really can't help you or support you through backporting those
drivers from the stable kernel to your ancient 2.6.29.6 kernel.  There
are far too many changes in the USB core to just do a straight backport
of the xHCI driver -- and many of those changes are necessary for full
xHCI driver support.

If you're on a vanilla stable kernel, the kernel community will happily
help you debug it.  If not, you're on your own.

> Gary Cordelli
> Embedded Computer Engineer
> Mentor Computer Consulting LLC
> the embedded computer company