Re: [oss-security] BadUSB discussion

On Sat, 9 Aug 2014, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:

> On ven., 2014-08-08 at 18:26 -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> > I'm not sure what you mean.  You can toggle these values at any time,
> > but toggling them may not accomplish anything useful.  What do you
> > want
> > to accomplish?
>
> The point would be to prevent new usb device to be plugged while a
> system is locked (or no one is logged in).
>
> Grsecurity has something like that using a custom sysctl, but Greg
> comment on the oss-sec made me thing it might have already been possible
> in mainline.

Well, you can't prevent new devices from being plugged in -- not unless
you do something pretty drastic, like filling the USB ports with glue.
:-)  But you _can_ prevent new devices from being authorized.  You just
do what I said earlier: write

	echo 0 >/sys/bus/usb/devices/usbN/authorized_default

for each N corresponding to an existing USB bus.

> > Note that in addition to changing the default values, you can change
> > the actual authorization value for an existing device at any time by
> > writing to the device's "authorized" sysfs file.
>
> Yeah but that doesn't really work,

What do you mean?  It really _does_ work.  If you write

	echo 0 >/sys/bus/usb/devices/1-3/authorized

then device 3 on bus 1 really _will_ be deauthorized.

>  because one would need to disable
> that at the bus level (for every bus), and that would also disable the
> currently plugged devices.

I don't understand this sentence.  You used the word "that" twice
without a clear antecedent either time.

If you write "echo 0 >/sys/bus/usb/devices/usb1/authorized_default", it
will not deauthorize any currently plugged devices.  All it will do is
change the default authorization value assigned to new devices when
they are plugged in.

Alan Stern