OMAP3/AM3517 EHCI USB Issue

There appears to be a bug in the USB host driver for the AM3517 in the
3.16 kernel. When the AM3517 board boots with a USB device plugged in
the host it detects and works fines as long as it is plugged in.

The board does not detect any device that is hotplugged and the kernel
message report nothing.

The board that I am porting is using the USB3320 PHY connected to the
USB host 1 interface. It should be noted that the same hardware worked
fine using an old 2.6.30 kernel.

The kernel has drastically changed since then and it appears that
something broke along the way.

I did notice this magical code in the old kernel:
http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=127841764930798&w=2

Since then the PHY code and host driver have been seperated. I am not
sure that the soft reset is ever being performed. I do notice that there
are remnants of the old driver as there are multiple macro defines that
are never used in the driver:
#define EHCI_INSNREG05_ULPI                             (0xA4)
#define EHCI_INSNREG05_ULPI_CONTROL_SHIFT               31
#define EHCI_INSNREG05_ULPI_PORTSEL_SHIFT               24
#define EHCI_INSNREG05_ULPI_OPSEL_SHIFT                 22
#define EHCI_INSNREG05_ULPI_REGADD_SHIFT                16
#define EHCI_INSNREG05_ULPI_EXTREGADD_SHIFT             8
#define EHCI_INSNREG05_ULPI_WRDATA_SHIFT                0

Any advice as to how to address this would be greatly appreciated.