Re: dummy scsi read or scsi command periodically for external USB Hard Disk

hi Alan:

> On Tue, 8 Jul 2014, loody wrote:
>
>> You are correct.
>> i can see events_poll_msecs when I change my kernel to 3.8.0
>> But the device still disconnect.
>> I have some question.
>> 1. when I cat  /sys/block/sdX/events, I get the answer as media_change.
>>     is there any events type we can choose, such as read capability or inquiry.
>
> The only other event type is eject_request.  But that applies to CD
> drives, not disk drives.
>
>> > Probably you don't actually need to do a read.  Simply opening the
>> > device file ought to be sufficient.
>> 2. the open device you mean is like open(/dev/sda1)?
>
> Yes.  That will send a SCSI TEST UNIT READY command, the same as disk
> events polling.  You can use usbmon to verify this.
>
> However, maybe TEST UNIT READY won't work.  Your drive might need to
> see a READ or WRITE command.  If that's the case then neither
> events_poll_msecs nor a simple open() will help.
>
> Have you tried using hdparm with the -B or -S flag?

there is one thing pop in my mind.
if events_poll_msecs is used for media_change, shouldn't we wrap is READ10?
the difference seems
1. change SCSI command
2. allocate 512 Byte for 1 sector dummy read
the periodically trigging flow should be the same.

if you think above is possible, where we should start from?
appreciate your help

--
Regards,