Re: Problem with Mobile Broadband on ubuntu

Oliver Neukum <oneukum@xxxxxxx> writes:
> On Thu, 2014-07-03 at 18:48 +0530, arun wrote:
>> Bus 001 Device 031: ID 2001:7d01 D-Link Corp.
>>
>> The verbose output text file is attached.
>>
>> 2 things i would like to mention:
>> - As soon as it is inserted , it is 2001:a706. But after sometime (few
>> seconds) it changes to the above. I guess this is due to the pkg
>> installed, and the initial usb_modeswitch.
>>
>> - Also if i see dmesg output, the usb-dongle is initially shown as sr1
>> (2001:a706), and then sg2 (2001:7d01).
>
> Then all is as it should be.
>
>>     Now, if I do 3g_connect.sh sg2 (which is in /usr/bin after
>> d-link's .deb package is installed), there are some errors, but i
>> sometimes get it working. It is totally random. I am attaching this
>> file also.
>
> I am afraid we cannot debug ubuntu's shell scripts.

The 3g_connect.sh script is actually included on the CD image on that
modem.  It's a simple ppp dialler script.  Kudos to Mediatek/D-Link for
at least attempting to support Linux.

But it is of course much better to just use whatever support you already
have in your distro.  The serial ports of 2001:7d01 are already
supported by the option driver, and the MBIM function is supported by
the cdc_mbim class driver.  Use a recent ModemManager and kernel, and do
not mess with the .deb package from the modem.

Bjørn