Re: v3.16-rc1 regression? unexpected usb_autopm_get_interface error

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014, Bjørn Mork wrote:

> >> I'm pretty sure this resulted from one of Dan Williams's changes to USB
> >> port runtime PM.  A whole bunch of them were added in 3.15-rc1.
> >
> > You are *so* much better at guessing than me:
> >
> > 9262c19d14c433a6a1ba25c3ff897cb89e412309 is the first bad commit
>
> And for completeness, I just tried the following partial revert on top
> of v3.16-rc1 and can confirm that it works fine for me:

I'm not up-to-date on the most recent few releases, so I'll let Dan
take care of this.  In general, it looks like the problem stems from
the fact that when a device is disabled for runtime PM, a
pm_runtime_get_sync() or pm_runtime_resume() call won't succeed, even
if the device is currently at full power.  Maybe we should change this
in the PM core.

Dan, the warning message in hub_suspend() should mention that the child
device isn't suspended yet.  Currently it looks like it's saying that
the port isn't suspended, which gives the wrong impression.

Alan Stern