Re: /sys/bus/usb/devices

On 04/27/2014 11:11 AM, John Freed wrote:
I hope you don't mind me writing you directly, and if someone else can
handle this better please let me know.

I'm trying to do some backend work on libusb and I notice that the
kernel keeps all the information on the Device Descriptors except for
the value of the Serial Number string.

(Well, almost all. Oddly, the "manufacturer" string is not included for
hubs from Intel! I presume that's because they're really PCI devices and
there is some black magic going on in the background to fill in the USB
device descriptor.)

I'm wondering if it would be difficult for you to establish a
"serialnumber" value in the directory that holds the other values (like
maxchild, etc.) from the Device Descriptor. I'm not a kernel programmer,
which is why I'm turning to you.

Hi John

I'll add this to the linux-usb mailing list. It has people with more knowledge about generic usb core area.

The serial number string descriptor in a device descriptor is optional, so it might just not be there. I checked that usb core has code for supporting string descriptors in sysfs if they exists.

-Mathias