what code calls the gadget composite driver's setup method?

I am developing a USB print capture device based on Gumstix Overo (TI OMAP) and the Gadget printer driver in Linaro 3.5.0 distribution. I got Linaro from:

https://github.com/gumstix/linux/tree/omap-3.5

and this describes my build process:

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Linaro-linux-source-has-no-makefiles-help-tt4967421.html#a4967434

It looks like the distributed gadget driver may not be responding to USB Setup messages. I have used printk to verify that my data is correct when function composite_setup returns, but it does not appear on my Beagle 12 USB analyzer. I have not changed anything lower down than composite.c, so if my reply data is being wiped out, it's happening in the standard code.

I am:
* writing the data to req->buf
* setting req->length
* returning the length from composite_setup

On the Beagle analyzer, I see the host polling my gadget but the data I set up is never put on the USB bus by the gadget. The host eventually times out.

I have been reading the code in usb/core and usb/otg but cannot find the place where the .setup callback is called, or in general where Setup messages are processed. I really want to trace the call stack from composite_setup back to the silicon. Can anyone describe how that works?

Thanks,
Larry