Re: xhci: non-superspeed enumeration failure

On Mon, Apr 07, 2014 at 07:26:01PM +0300, Mathias Nyman wrote:
> On 04/03/2014 07:32 PM, Johan Hovold wrote:
> > Hi Mathias and Benjamin,
> >
> > Mathias, I understand you've got quite a lot on your plate with xhci at
> > the moment, but have you had a change to look at this issue yet? It's an
> > xhci-issue (possibly due to buggy hw) which seems related to the
> > non-superspeed enumeration work that was made by Sarah and Dan during
> > the fall.
> >
> > In summary, the device works fine with ehci, but fails to enumerate
> > with xhci. Prior to 3.14 this resulted in babble errors, but since 3.14
> > it appears that enumeration times out instead:
> >
> > 	xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Timeout while waiting for setup address command
> >
> > Sometimes it enumerates successfully with 3.14, though.
> >
> > Not sure if it's related, but Benjamin was also able to trigger:
> >
> > 	xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: HC died; cleaning up
> >
> > The full thread is available here:
> >
> > 	http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=139464536212863&w=2
> >
> > (The usb-serial related bits are really just about recognising the
> > VID/PID and is unrelated to the xhci-enumeration problem.)
> >
> > Do you need any further information from Benjamin?
>
> It might be related to Dan's enumeration scheme change, but
> looking at the xhci parts of the logs there seems to be both Address
> command timeout and halting/stalling endpoint clearing issues.
>
> There is currently an issue with clearing halted endpoints and toggle
> bit getting out of sync on xhci which I'm about to take on, this could
> be related.
>
> http://marc.info/?l=libusb-devel&m=134930472420570&w=2
>
> Hopefully, fixing that will solve some of the issues you are seeing as well.
>
> There's also a rfc patchset which completely changes how xhci handles
> command timeouts. You could also test if it has any impact on the
> address command timeout.
>
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=139653559120996&w=2

Alright, thanks for taking a look.

Benjamin, were you able to reproduce this on a different host
controller? If you're interested in debugging this further you could try
Mathias timeout RFC. I could prepare a branch for you to pull if that'd
simplify things.

Thanks,
Johan