xhci_hcd: Error while assigning device slot ID

Dear kernel developers,

I'm running into an interesting limitation with a NEC PD720200 USB 3.0
host controller connected by PCIe. What I want to do is connect 13
mass storage devices to each downstream port (of which there are two).
For this I have a collection of Anker 13-port hubs containing 4 VIA
VL812-B2 4-port hub controllers, daisy chained on the last port. Everything
is fine until I've plugged in 20 of the usb-sticks, at which point I
seem to run out of some resource. In my syslog I can read

[ 6112.316240] xhci_hcd 0000:04:00.0: Error while assigning device slot ID
[ 6112.316247] hub 7-2.4:1.0: couldn't allocate port 1 usb_device

whenever xhci_hcd tries to enumerate additional devices. In my head
this amounts to 24 devices (16 sticks + 8 hub controllers) on the
2-port root hub, which seems a bit short of the USB spec.

I have tried this combination of adapter card and hubs on the current
3.14-rc8 kernel in addition to the stock ubuntu 3.11.0-12-generic with
same results.

Attached is my syslog when successfully connecting the final
high-speed stick into 7-2.3 followed by the failing enumeration of
device 7-2.4.1 at time [ 6112.316240].

Even with dynamic debug set for the xhci_hcd module I can't seem to
get a more specific reason for the failure to assign the device slot id. I
grepped the error messages, leading me to xhci_alloc_dev, but without
being familiar with the usb host drivers I am not able to see why the
host controller is not assigning any more device slots.

Could someone point me to the right place for me to look further?

--
Amund Hov
+47 412 96 298