Re: usb audio breaks ohci-pci

On Tue, 1 Apr 2014 09:30:01 -0400 (EDT), Alan Stern wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Apr 2014, Dennis New wrote:
>
> > I was able to capture usbmon output during the event (via a
> > continuously rotating set of log files over a few days :p) from:
> >   /sys/kernel/debug/usb/usbmon/3u
>
> Were you using a kernel with the patch that I sent you?  Did you have
> CONFIG_USB_DEBUG enabled?  Did any of the debugging information show
> up in the kernel log?

Ugh. I forgot to apply the patch that time. I'll do that now. Apologies.

> [...]
> This indicates that the OHCI host controller just stopped working.
> Then about a minute later, the audio device disconnected.

Yep, that's what happened. I manually disconnected the usb audio device
though. And then tried plugging it back in, but got no response.

> [...]
> > > hcca frame 0xd466
>
> After the crash, did you notice whether the hcca frame value was
> changing over time?

I will check for this next time! (At the moment, it seems to increment a
lot each time I cat the "registers" file.)

> [...]
> I don't know that much can be done to prevent the controller from
> crashing, or to recover from such a crash.  Maybe resetting the
> controller would work, maybe not.
>
> But at least it should be possible to insure that a controller
> malfunction doesn't bring down the entire USB stack with it.  I will
> work on a patch for this, but I'm going to be quite busy with other
> matters for the next few days.  It may take some time to get the patch
> ready for you to test.
>
> Alan Stern

I appreciate your work!