Re: Fwd: Failure to recognize device for 45 minutes and Device Disconnects

On Wed, 26 Mar 2014, Mike Mitchell wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 7:30 AM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > What happens if you run "lsusb -v" shortly after booting?  Does that
> cause the mouse to be recognized?

Oops -- I meant "microphone", not "mouse".  Trying to work on too many
bug reports at once...

> No

Please post the output from the "lsusb -v".

> > while the trace is running, do the following:
> >        echo 0 >/sys/bus/usb/devices/2-1/bConfigurationValue
> >and a few seconds later,
> >        echo 1 >/sys/bus/usb/devices/2-1/bConfigurationValue
>
> This did not cause the device to be detected.

Please post the trace data for these commands.

> >Have you tried using this mouse with a different computer?
>
> No, but we have similar problems disconnecting and filing to recognize
> with several of the same brand of devices.  The manufacturer (CAD
> Audio) says all revisions of this model are the same, using a C-Media
> IC.  The reason I do not think it is cable relate that I record 6
> hours a day and never have a glitch. The devices only seem to fall
> offline when they are not being used.

That suggests a setting in the device's firmware.  It may deliberately
disconnect itself after a period of inactivity.  Of course, that
doesn't answer the question of why it doesn't connect initially.

> Here's a trap of the delayed recognition. It actually took about 5
> hours this time.

This trace doesn't show a delayed recognition.  At the start of the
trace, the audio device is already in active use.

Alan Stern

PS: In the future, when you put data files like this into the body of
an email message, try to make certain that your email client does not
split up long lines.  It makes reading the files harder.