Re: Problems identifying USB devices persistentely

> I understand the expectation, but I don't think Linux meets it.
>
> The difference in your logs is the usbX bus number, which really can
> not persist beyond the lifetime of that bus.
>
> Think of a laptop with a CardBus slot. CardBus is just PCI. If you
> plug a USB host card into that laptop, which number will the new usbX
> bus have?
>
> What if that same card is plugged in during boot?
>
> What if the card is unplugged? The usbX goes away. And then the card
> is plugged back in. A new usbX comes in. X is only valid for the
> lifetime of that bus. For soldered-on buses like in the chipset this
> means until reboot.

OK. I don't fully understand the details, but I think I got your point.

> I think your best chance is to filter out the usbX bus name yourself.
>
> E.g. match on the DEVPATH prefix /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/
> and on the suffix -4.1:1.0/usbmisc/pcanusb*

That seems good enough to make an udev rule, I will try ASAP. :-)

> That will always match the same pcanusb device plugged into the same
> physical port, as long as chipset or firmware (BIOS upgrade) does not
> remap PCI devices and/or device functions. While hardware might
> support such remapping, in particular if the hardware is virtualized,
> as is increasingly the case, devfns changing is rare. But you do need
> to coordinate this with whoever is your BIOS engineer if you want
> actual reliability.

Ok, we will have that into account. I think it will be acceptable with
our little knowledge on the issue.

Thank you very much! We've struggled quite a bit with this.

--
Alejandro Exojo Piqueras

ModpoW, S.L.
Technova LaSalle | Sant Joan de la Salle 42 | 08022 Barcelona | www.modpow.es