Re: problem with resume after s2ram

On Wed, 19 Mar 2014, Peter Münster wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 18 2014, Alan Stern wrote:
>
> >> Commit 0aa2832dd0d9d8609fd8f15139bc7572541a1215 introduces a problem for
> >> my system:
> >
> > You should include the name of the commit along with the hash ID;
> > otherwise nobody will know what it is unless they go to the trouble of
> > looking it up for themselves.
> >
> > You also should address your email to the author of the commit.
> > Otherwise your message is very likely to get overlooked.
>
> Hi,
>
> Sorry, next time I'll do it better.
> (I thought that the link to the initial report would have been enough...)

No, it isn't, because nobody will know what the initial report says
unless they click on the link.  You have to provide enough information
in the email itself for readers to judge whether they should pay
attention to it, without requiring them to do any extra work to find
out.  Otherwise they will simply ignore the message.

> > What do you get if you boot with no_console_suspend on the kernel
> > command line and do "echo 8 >/proc/sys/kernel/printk" before starting
> > the suspend?
>
> Please see attached photo. It's the 3.12.14 kernel.

Okay.  It shows what happened, but not the reason for the crash.

In the photo, what were the two devices plugged into the rear ports?
It looks like one of them was a keyboard or mouse, but the other seems
to be a serial port.

Can you use netconsole to capture the log messages, instead of taking a
picture of the screen?  See the instructions in
Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt.  (You'll need another computer
to capture the messages.)

Do you have CONFIG_DETECT_HUNG_TASK enabled?  If not, please turn it
on.  Then after you get a hang, wait a couple of minutes to see if
any extra messages show up.

I'd like to see a comparable log showing what happens when you suspend
with only the mouse plugged in to a rear port, and one with only the
keyboard plugged in to the rear.  No serial ports or other stuff.

> > Also, can you turn on CONFIG_USB_DEBUG?
>
> Yes, done.
>

> > What happens if you run a kernel that doesn't have that commit, such as
> > 3.9 or earlier, and you turn off CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND?
>
> When pressing a key on the mouse or the keyboard, the system does not
> wake-up.

That's right; without CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND there is no support for USB
wakeup.

>  But it wakes up after pressing the power-button. The system is
> ok after resume. Please find attached the log. The kernel is 3.9.11 with
> CONFIG_USB_DEBUG turned on and with CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND turned off.

Please post a log for the same kernel version and settings but with
CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND turned back on.

Alan Stern