Re: BUG: USB Reset-Resume Mechanism does not work for runtime resume

On Fri, 7 Mar 2014, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> > Are there any wakeup-enabled devices that this will mess up?
>
> Potentially HID. Now that I think about this it seems to me that
> drivers really need to be told about the error condition. For
> btusb the error condition cannot be handled. For HID it may mean
> a lost key or click at the worst. The driver should react to such
> errors by disabling power management, but that requires that it
> become aware of such errors.

The only way to notify the driver about the error condition is by a
reset-resume callback, and btusb has no such callback.

In the case of a mobile device, it seems to me that unbinding and
rebinding is more suitable than disabling power management.
Especially if these errors are infrequent.

Of course, unbind followed by rebind is a natural side effect of
logical disconnect.

Earlier, you objected to rebinding on the grounds that it could lead to
a tight error loop.  Unbinding without rebinding would be essentially
the same as what the kernel does now.

Alan Stern