Re: MAX3421E Linux driver?

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 2:40 PM, Daniel Mack <daniel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1. Your patch has a large number of style issues, which
> scripts/checkpatch.pl will tell you more about.

Sure, I"m not really at a point of worrying about style, but that's
easy enough to change.

> 2. Is there any good reason for not using the regmap abstraction
> framework for the SPI layer? It has convenience functions for bit
> fiddling, a register cache and a nice debugging interface through
> debugfs, among other things. See include/linux/regmap.h.

I have looked at it only briefly but my impression is that it'd add a
lot of complexity and generality that is unnecessary for this case.
If somebody wanted to cook up a patch to show what it would look like
with regmap, I'd certainly be happy to look at it, though.

> Also, out of curiosity: which SPI master controller are you using in
> your setup? Is the whole thing actually fast enough for real-world
> applications? Which data rates are you able to get through on
> mass-storage devices for instance?

Yes, it's fast enough.  We just need >1Mbps at a reasonable CPU
utilization and that's what we're getting even now (no attempt to
optimize).

  --david
--
eGauge Systems LLC, http://egauge.net/, 1.877-EGAUGE1, fax 720.545.976