Re: [OPW] USB subsystem questions

On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 12:00 AM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Jan 2014, Sarah Sharp wrote:
>
>> Why exactly do you want the device to not show up in /dev?  I would
>> think what you really want is for the device drivers on the server side
>> to not bind to the device, since the client side drivers should be bound
>> to them instead.
>>
>> I believe there is a mechanism for usbfs drivers to mark a port as
>> "claimed".  Perhaps the stub driver could do the same?  Alan Stern would
>> have deals on that.
>
> That might be good enough.  The stub driver could claim the port that
> the device is plugged into by calling usb_hub_claim_port (you would
> have to EXPORT this function first).  This would prevent the server
> system from automatically binding drivers to the device's interfaces
> whenever the client system changed the device's configuration.

Hi,

Thank you both for your replies, I managed to solve the /dev issues,
it seems it was related to tmpfs.

Related to the port claim mechanism, as far as I can see,
usb_hub_claim_port is called from a ioctl and, thus, needs a file to
be called for.
As I read, usbfs has been deprecated and /sys and /dev/bus/usb are
used instead. However, I can't figure out which file to use. I tried
claming a port from userspace using ioctl on /dev/bus/usb/001/001
(since it's the only file that looks like a device file corresponding
to hub usb1, to which the USB device to be shared is attached). I get
Operation not permitted when doing this.

Thanks,
Valentina