RE: FW: xhci ASMedia lockups - a theory and a patch

From: Sarah Sharp
> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 03:48:27PM +0000, David Laight wrote:
> > I've decided to forward this to the list.
> > If you read further down he says that my patch makes the operation
> > of the ax88179_178a stable - once the system has recognised it properly.
>
> I don't understand why your patch helped.  This person has a 0.96 host,
> which should not require the TD fragment rules.

Unless that is the documentation catching up with reality?

> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 04:21:00PM +1100, renevant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > I am someone who has been struggling to get an ax88179 net adapter working
> > reliably.
> >
> > I have an integrated Asmedia 1042 xhci controller that is reportedly version
> > 0.96 on an ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0, BIOS 2201 motherboard based on the AMD 990FX
> > chipset.
>
> The only thing you have in common here is that you've both got an
> ax88179 device.  I wonder if Mark Lord has one as well.

The ax88179 device is definitely part of the problem.
It really doesn't like bulk transfer requests that are the wrong
length for their embedded header.

It is likely that other hardware recovers.

I think there are a few separate bugs lurking here.

I've found an AMD motherboard with the ASMedia chipset.
I might install a usable linux on it and do some tests.

	David