Re: 0471:206c IR receiver, mceusb & NULL pointer dereference

Quoting Alan Ott (alan@xxxxxxxxxxx):

> >I'm no kernel hacker nor am i a USB expert so i'm not sure wether or not
> >ep_out is mandatory but looking at the rest of the code it would seem the
> >function should return -ENODEV as with ep_in == NULL.
> >That's a bug, no?
> It appears that way. Especially since the debug message says,
> "inbound and/or endpoint not found"

Thanks for your insights.

> > hid-philips-asus.c (https://8n1.org/9519/bbf4)
> That driver uses the HID subsystem, and doesn't reference any
> endpoints directly, letting usbhid take care of it the right way (by
> sending Output reports on endpoint 0).

The module still compiles against 3.12.0. Yesterday i couldn't get it to
work but i tried again without my hacks and this still is a workable
solution. I've blacklisted the mceusb module and put a softdep on usbhid
to load this hid-philips-asus driver first.

Nice.

> >Could someone nudge me in the right direction?
>
> This may be a case of devices with the same PID behaving differently
> from one another (because manufacturers aren't always careful about
> such things). Your device doesn't have an OUT endpoint.

This particular device came with my ASUS Atom 330 board and thus it
carries an ASUS logo on the front. The back shows some cryptic codes,
OVU710016/01, 3139 228 56491, and that it was manufactured in Indonesia.

> I CC'd some people I found from scripts/get_maintainers.pl who
> will know more about it.

Thanks!

-Sndr.