Re: USB HID devices communicating with each other warning

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 05:56:48PM -0600, Joe M wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am developing a USB HID device (simple keyboard). I want to have 2
> different such keyboards connected to the same computer to share the
> shift, control, alt or any such modifier key. So, I do not have to
> have the same modifier key on the different keyboards connected to the
> same computer.
>
> I could think about writing a kernel device driver to facilitate such
> communication. But, other than that, Is there some mechanism that I
> can use to ensure that the 2 HID keyboards can communicate with each other
> when any such modifier key is pressed on either of them?
>
> I can easily add more endpoints, etc., on the device, if that helps.

USB devices can not "communicate with each other", sorry, the spec
doesn't allow that.

But, the OS can "combine" all of the HID devices into one big device,
which I think you will find is the default way Linux works for
keyboards.

But, modifier keys are "hard" in that I don't think a modifier key of
one keyboard will affect the other keyboard, but you can easily try this
by plugging in two keyboards and seeing what happens.

sorry,

greg k-h