Re: usb: cdc-wdm:

Thomas Schäfer <tschaefer@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Am 23.12.2013 08:41, schrieb Bjørn Mork:
>  my QMI (MC7710, E392) and MBIM (MC7710, DWM-156) modems all work
>> fine with v3.13-rc3 and IPv6, except for the Huawei E367 which doesn't
>> support IPv6 PDPs at all (at least not with the firmware revision I
>> have).  None of the modems seem to respond to DHCPv6 solicits.  The
>> MC7710 and E392 support RS/RA. All support management protocol address
>> configuration.  Which should be the default for MBIM in any case, given
>> that it is a standard part of the protocol and the DHCP and RA daemon
>> in modem firmware is a really ugly hack.
>

> Only for clarification:  Should I test the mbim device only with the
> information I get from:
>
> mmlci -b
>
> no autoconfig: RS/RA, no dhcpv6?
>
> (windows behavior was different)
>
> Regarding IPv4 at mbim no dhcpv4?

No, feel free to test the RS/RA and DHCP implementations.  It's good to
know that they work. But it is a firmware hack which some MBIM devices
do not support. And the MBIM IP configuration is mandatory, so using it
should be the default.

Note that you'll usually end up with different IPv6 addresses from those
methods because you only get a /64 in the RA, while the MBIM method
allow all 128 bits to be transferred.  This shouldn't matter though.

> qmi-devices: test with dhcpv4
>              test with RS/RA, without dhcpv6

Test everything, including using QMI for IP configuration :-)

> ncm: ????

No standard IP configuration method to, so DHCP/RA is the only generic
way.  Specific modems may have their own vendor specific alterntives

Bjørn