Re: Question regarding internals of metacopy=on feature

On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 at 15:16, Yuriy Belikov <yuriybelikov1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> such files are visible in the terminal using the ls command. However, as there
> were no modifications to the file content, a copy-up was not triggered. This leads
> to my question about the type of filesystem object represented in the upper-layer
> directory when only metadata is modified.

It will be a empty file with no allocated data.  If you read such a
file it will contain all zeroes, but those zeroes are not actually
stored on disk, so doing "du $METACOPY_FILE" should yield zero.

It's easy to create such objects with the truncate(1) utility.

Thanks,
Miklos