Re: Accessing bind mount in lower layer via overlayfs

On Wed, Mar 13, 2024 at 1:50 PM Amir Goldstein <amir73il@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 12, 2024 at 8:13 PM Raul Rangel <rrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> > I was wondering if it was possible for the bind mounts created under a
> > lower layer to be exposed via overlayfs?
> >
> > I have attached a test script that reproduces what I'm trying to achieve:
> > $ unshare --user --map-root-user --mount bash -xe mount-test
> > + mkdir -p real/usr/lib
> > + touch real/usr/lib/foo
> >
> > + mkdir -p stage/input
> > + mount --bind real stage/input <-- I want to mount `real` under `input`.
> > + ls -l stage/input
> > drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Mar 12 11:53 usr <-- `usr` is visible.
> >
> > + mkdir work upper merged
> > + mount -t overlay overlay
> > -olowerdir=./stage,upperdir=./upper,workdir=./work ./merged
> > + ls -Rl merged/input
> > merged/input:
> > total 0 <-- The `usr` directory is not passed through.
> >
> > I wasn't able to find anything that explicitly states it's not
> > supported. Is something like this possible? I tried setting the mount
> > propagation to shared, but that didn't have any effect.
>
> Overlayfs does not follow children (bind) mounts.

Ok thanks for confirming. I wasn't sure if I was just doing something wrong.

> It looks like you are trying to overlay the tree at real over
> the tree in stage/input.
> Why not use an overlayfs layer of real on top of the stage
> layer?

I can do that. I was trying to get away with having a single overlayfs
mount, but it's not really required.

> Please explain what you want to achieve rather than how
> you tried to achieve it, so maybe I can help more.

Sorry, I simplified the problem a bit too much. Your comments were
exactly what I was looking for though.

> Thanks,
> Amir.

Thanks!