Re: reg: Stacked overlay support in Linux

On Wed, Jan 3, 2024 at 1:57 AM Amir Goldstein <amir73il@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 2, 2024 at 12:16 PM shanthosh krishna moorthy
> <santy.accet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is the Linux support for mounting overlay file system over another
> > overlayfs lowerdir still supported?
> > In kernel 4.1, this seems supported but not in 4.19 and above.
> >
> > //Create lower directoy on an overlayfs mount
> > root@device2:/# mkdir /lower /upper /work /merged
> >

> So /upper and /work are also on overlayfs?
> Even if it did work, I think that some operations may have
> unexpected results (creating opaque directory).
>
> > //User the 'lower' directory as lowerdir in overlayfs mount
> > root@device2:/# mount -t overlay overlay -o
> > lowerdir=/lower,upperdir=/upper,workdir=/work /merged
> > mount: /merged: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on overlay,
> > missing codepage or helper program, or other error.
> >
> > root@device2:/# mount
> > /dev/mmcblk0p9 on /overlay type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodelalloc,data=journal)
> > overlayfs:/overlay on / type overlay
> > (rw,noatime,lowerdir=/,upperdir=/overlay/bank_1,workdir=/overlay/work)
> > root@device2:/#
> >
> > Could someone please shed some light on this error.
>
> The specific reason is to be found in the kernel log.
> It may indicate that some configs or mount options could help.
>
> Please check the difference in CONFIG_OVERLAY_FS* values in
> the two kernels you are comparing.
>
> Thanks,
> Amir.

Please find the dmesg log when the mount fails:
overlayfs: filesystem on '/upper' not supported as upperdir

//Linux 4.19 kernel config
CONFIG_OVERLAY_FS=y
# CONFIG_OVERLAY_FS_REDIRECT_DIR is not set
CONFIG_OVERLAY_FS_REDIRECT_ALWAYS_FOLLOW=y
# CONFIG_OVERLAY_FS_INDEX is not set
# CONFIG_OVERLAY_FS_XINO_AUTO is not set
# CONFIG_OVERLAY_FS_METACOPY is not set

//Linux 4.1 kernel config
CONFIG_OVERLAY_FS=y

This seems related to the updates done as part of
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/7c03b5d45b8eebf0111125053d8fe887cc262ba6

So, overlay over overlay is not a valid usecase that could be supported anymore?

-
Thanks,
Shanthosh