Re: [RFC][overlayfs] do we still need d_instantiate_anon() and export of d_alloc_anon()?

On Sat, Nov 18, 2023 at 10:02 PM Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 12, 2023 at 09:26:28AM +0200, Amir Goldstein wrote:
>
> > Tested the patch below.
> > If you want to apply it as part of dcache cleanup, it's fine by me.
> > Otherwise, I will queue it for the next overlayfs update.
>
> OK...  Let's do it that way - overlayfs part goes into never-rebased branch
> (no matter which tree), pulled into dcache series and into your overlayfs
> update, with removal of unused stuff done in a separate patch in dcache
> series.

Sounds good.

> That way we won't step on each other's toes when reordering, etc.
> Does that work for you?  I can put the overlayfs part into #no-rebase-overlayfs
> in vfs.git, or you could do it in a v6.7-rc1-based branch in your tree -
> whatever's more convenient for you.

I've reset overlayfs-next to no-rebase-overlayfs, as it  had my version
with removal so far.

For the final update, I doubt I will need to include it at all, because
the chances of ovl_obtain_alias() colliding with anything for the next
cycle are pretty slim, but it's good that I have the option and I will
anyway make sure to always test the next update with this change.

Thanks,
Amir.