Overlayfs: Deleting files from the lower dir

Hi,

We are using an overlayfs to make our configuration persistent.
The lower dir is /etc and the upper dir is located on the persistent
/data partition. This is the mount command we use to create the overlay:

mount -n -t overlay \
-o workdir=$WORK_DIR \
-o lowerdir=/etc \
-o upperdir=/data \
-o index=off,xino=off,redirect_dir=off,metacopy=off \
/data /etc

Problem is that when we do remove a file from
the lower dir ("rm /etc/file1.txt" for example) and afterwards list the directory content with the
ls command we do get following output:

$ls /etc
file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt

$rm /etc/file1.txt

$ls /etc
ls: ./file1.txt: No such file or directory
file2.txt file3.txt

Like expected, the file is not listed anymore but we do get an error message ("No such file or directory"). When we list the directory using the tree command we do not get an error but the file (possibly the character device to white out the deleted file?) still gets listed in the
output contrary to what we would expect.

We are using linux kernel version 5.10.9.

Any hint on why this does happen or how to solve this would be very appreciated.

Kind regards,
Alexis