Re: Lazy lowerdata lookup and data-only layers (Was: Re: Composefs:)

On Wed, 12 Apr 2023 at 16:07, Amir Goldstein <amir73il@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> To elaborate:
>
> lowerdir="lo1:lo2:lo3::do1:do2:do3" is allowed
>
> :: must have non-zero lower layers on the left side
> and non-zero data-only layers on the right side.

Okay.   Can you please add this to the documentation?

> Actually, this feature originates from a request from Alexander to
> respect opaque root dir in lower layers, but I preferred to make this
> change of behavior opt-in so it can be tested by userspace.

Not sure I get that.  Does "opaque root dir" mean that only absolute
redirects can access layers below such a layer?

I guess that's not something that works today.  Or am I mistaken?

I also don't get what you mean by testing in userspace.  Can you ellaborate?

> I took it one step further than the opaque root dir request -
> the lookup in data-only is a generic vfs_path_lookup() of an
> absolute path redirect from one of the lowerdirs, with no
> checking of redirect/metacopy/opque xattrs.
>
> And then I only implemented lazy lookup for the lookup
> in those new data-only layers, which made things simpler.

Okay, makes sense.  If someone hits this limitation, then we can
always start thinking about generalizing this feature.

> Please see the patches I just posted for details [1].

Will do.

Thanks,
Miklos