Re: sd .img partition loop support

On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 9:46 PM Carl Karsten <carl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm trying to overlay an empty upper dir onto a fat/loop/img fs and getting:
>
> juser@negk:~/boot$ sudo mount -o ro /dev/mapper/loop0p1 img
> juser@negk:~/boot$ sudo mount -t overlay overlay
> -olowerdir=img,upperdir=upper,workdir=work merged
> mount: /home/juser/boot/merged: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock
> on overlay, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.
>
> [ 2449.670177] overlayfs: filesystem on 'lower' not supported

fat was never supported as lower or upper layer AFAIK, see:
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-unionfs/2527352.xHhNOModH5@nerdopolis/

This is due to the case insensitive and special name encoding of fat.
It is not unfixable, but it was never a priority for anyone to fix it.

I suppose it would be easier for you to copy the image to another filesystem
before constructing the overlay.

Thanks,
Amir.