Re: failed open: No data available

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 6:06 PM Michael D Labriola <michael.d.labriola@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm sporatically getting "no data available" as a reason to fail to
> open files on an overlay mount.  Most obvious is during ln of backup
> file during apt install.  Only seems to happen on copy_up from lower
> layer.  Lower layer is squashfs (I've seen it happen with both the
> default zlib and also zstd compression), upper is EXT4.
>
> I've only bumped into this problem recently with 5.9+ kernels.  I'm
> gonna go see if I can reproduce in some older kernels I still have
> installed.

Rebooting into 5.4 made the problem go away and I can apt upgrade
w/out any problems.  Rebooting an affected virtual machine into 5.8
also fixed the problem, so it looks to be something introduced in 5.9.

I suppose I should try 5.10 and see if this problem has already been
fixed.

--
Michael D Labriola
21 Rip Van Winkle Cir