Re: a question about opening file

On Thu, Nov 5, 2020 at 10:38 AM Chengguang Xu <cgxu519@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  ---- 在 星期四, 2020-11-05 16:07:26 Amir Goldstein <amir73il@xxxxxxxxx> 撰写 ----
>  > On Thu, Nov 5, 2020 at 6:39 AM Chengguang Xu <cgxu519@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  > >
>  > > Hello,
>  > >
>  > > I have a question about opening file of underlying filesystem in overlayfs,
>  > >
>  > > why we use overlayfs' path(vfsmount/dentry) struct for underlying fs' file
>  > >
>  > > in ovl_open_realfile()?  Is it by design?
>  >
>  > Sure. open_with_fake_path() is only used by overlayfs.
>  >
>  > IIRC, one of the reasons was to display the user expected path in
>  > /proc/<pid>/maps.
>  > There may have been other reasons.
>  >

> So if we do the mmap with overlayfs'  own page cache, then we don't have to
> use pseudo path for the reason above, right?
>
> Actually, the background is I'm trying to implement overlayfs' page cache for
> fixing mmap rorw issue. The reason why asking this is I need to open a writeback
> file which is used for syncing dirty data from overlayfs' own page cache to upper inode.
> However, if I use the pseudo path just like current opening behavior, the writeback
> file will hold a reference of vfsmount of overlayfs and it will cause umount fail with -EBUSY.
> So I want to open a writeback file with correct underlying path struct but not sure if
> there is any unexpected side effect. Any suggestion?

Should be no issue with plain dentry_open() for that purpose.  In fact
it would be really good to get rid of all that d_real*() mess
completely, but that seems some ways off.

Did you find the prototype we did with Amir a couple of years back?  I
can only find bits and pieces in my mailbox...

Thanks,
Miklos