Re: Frequent errors with OverlayFS on root

Thanks Amir,
comments inline below.

On 9/3/20 10:30 AM, Amir Goldstein wrote:
>>> So basically squashfs image will be udpated. I am not sure how this
>>> will work for all the cases. What if application is updated and
>>> it decides to rename its config file from foo.txt to bar.txt. Now
>>> when application is launched, user defaults are lost anyway.
>> I'm in a somewhat middle position.
>>
>> Targets are embedded systems and it wouldn't make any sense
>> to implement a fully flexible update system (deb/rpm/ipkg/...);
>> I just have two "packages": system and application.
>>
>> I *am* the "rootfs (aka: system) image provider".
>>
> FYI, I am not a stakeholder. Just chose the "defending" side, to counter
> Vivek's opinion for the sake of the argument.
I guessed that ;)

> FYI2, overlayfs maintainer as well as Linux maintainer have always
> followed the practice of not breaking existing user workloads, so the
> status quo is playing to your side anyway.
I'm *very* glad to hear this, but if there's any chance this will
change in a foreseeable future I'd want to know it *now*,
changing later would be a disaster (for me, of course).

> I assume, although you did not mention this, that you maintan an
> OpenWRT derivative.
No, that's a fair guess, but I'm actually rolling out a full system
based on Buildroot with current upstreamed u-boot/kernel/apps.

> Just so you know, Android is another "system image provider" project
> whose developers were talking about using overlayfs to provide
> "debug mode", wherein developers can modify system files.
> This is the use case for the proposed override_creds=off feature [1].
>
> I do not know if this mode was deployed on existing phones, but anyway,
> it is not enabled in production mode, so it limits very much the problem
> of conflict resolution.
I'm not sure about what You mean exactly, but I'll try to check it
if You so suggest.

> Thanks,
> Amir.
>
> [1] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-unionfs/20191104215253.141818-1-salyzyn@xxxxxxxxxxx/