Re: Overlayfs @Plumbers

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 6:58 PM Aleksa Sarai <asarai@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2020-08-28, Eric W. Biederman <ebiederm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Amir Goldstein <amir73il@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >
> > > Hi Guys,
> > >
> > > It's been nice to virtually meet with you yesterday.
> > > Some of you wanted to follow up on overlayfs related issues.
> > >
> > > If you want to discuss, try to find me in one of the
> > > https://meet.2020.linuxplumbersconf.org/hackrooms
> > > today between 16:00-17:00 UTC
> > > (No need to enter the room to see who's inside)
> > >
> > > If those times do not work for you, contact me and we can try
> > > to schedule another time.
> >
> > Did this conversation wind up happening?  Do we need to reschedule?
>
> This conversation already happened in a Hackroom on Tuesday. I'm not
> sure if the Hackrooms will have their recordings published, so maybe
> Amir can post any of the takeaways we had?

AFAIK we had discussed two issues.
1. Watching changes on upper layer
2. OCI format v2

#1 was brought up by Josh Triplett.
He asked whether watching changes using inotify/fanotify on upper dir
and reading changes from upper dir is a reasonable practice.
I suggested that he use fanotify filesystem mark to watch changes
on overlay sb and read the changes from overlay mount.

#2 TBH I lost track and you guys continued the discussion after I left.
>From what I gathered we need a way to describe clones and renames
more efficiently, but I did not hear any solid plan of how to do that.
So perhaps you would be able to fill in some details here.

Thanks,
Amir.