Re: overlayfs: issue with a replaced lower squashfs with export-table

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 6:14 PM Fabian <godi.beat@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Amir,
>
> thanks for your mail and the quick reply!
>
> Am Montag, 6. Juli 2020, 16:29:51 CEST schrieb Amir Goldstein:
> > > We are seeing problems using an read-writeable overlayfs (upper) on a
> > > readonly squashfs (lower). The squashfs gets an update from time to time
> > > while we keep the upper overlayfs.
> >
> > It gets updated while the overlay is offline (not mounted) correct?
>
> Yes. We boot into a recovery system outside the rootfs and its overlayfs,
> replace the lower squashfs, and then reboot into the new system.
>
> > > On replaced files we then see -ESTALE ("overlayfs: failed to get inode
> > > (-116)") messages if the lower squashfs was created _without_ using the
> > > "-no-exports" switch.
> > > The -ESTALE comes from ovl_get_inode() which in turn calls
> > > ovl_verify_inode() and returns on the line where the upperdentry inode
> > > gets compared
> > > ( if (upperdentry && ovl_inode_upper(inode) != d_inode(upperdentry)) ).
> > >
> > > A little debugging shows, that the upper files dentry name does not fit to
> > > the dentry name of the new lower dentry as it seems to look for the inode
> > > on the squashfs "export"-lookup-table which has changed as we replaced
> > > the lower fs.
> > >
> > > Building the lower squashfs with the "-no-exports"-mksquashfs option, so
> > > without the export-lookup-table, seems to work, but it might be no longer
> > > exportable using nfs (which is ok and we can keep with it).
> > >
> > > As we didn't find any other information regarding this behaviour or anyone
> > > who also had this problem before we just want to know if this is the
> > > right way to use the rw overlayfs on a (replaceable) ro squashfs
> > > filesystem.
> > >
> > > Is this a known issue? Is it really needed to disable the export feature
> > > when using overlayfs on a squashfs if we later need to replace squashfs
> > > during an update? Any hints we can have a look on if this should work and
> > > we might have done wrong during squashfs or overlayfs creation?
> >
> > This sounds like an unintentional outcome of:
> > 9df085f3c9a2 ovl: relax requirement for non null uuid of lower fs
> >
> > Which enabled nfs_export for overlay with lower squashfs.
> >
> > If you do not need to export overlayfs to NFS, then you can check if the
> > attached patch solves your problem.
>
> With the attached patch i'm now getting to a point where the overlayfs tries
> to handle the /run-directory (a symlink). There seems to be a -ESTALE at
> ovl_check_origin_fh() after the for-loop where it checks if origin was not
> found ( if (!origin) ). Maybe i should debug for more details here? Please let
> me know.

This is expected. Does it cause any problem?

The patch marks the lower squashfs as "bad_uuid", because:
        if (!ofs->config.index && uuid_is_null(uuid))
                return false;
        if (!ovl_lower_uuid_ok(ofs, &sb->s_uuid)) {
                bad_uuid = true;
        ofs->fs[ofs->numfs].bad_uuid = bad_uuid;

That's ofs->fs[1].bad_uuid = bad_uuid;

Then in ovl_lookup() => ovl_check_origin() => ovl_check_origin_fh()
will return ESALE because of:
                if (ofs->layers[i].fsid &&
                    ofs->layers[i].fs->bad_uuid)
                        continue;

And ovl_check_origin() will return 0 to ovl_lookup().

When problems are you observing?

Maybe I did not understand the problem.

Thanks,
Amir.