Re: [Regression] performance regression since v4.19

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 11:15 AM Miklos Szeredi <miklos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 8:53 AM Jiufei Xue <jiufei.xue@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Miklos,
> >
> > A performance regression is observed since linux v4.19 when we do aio
> > test using fio with iodepth 128 on overlayfs. And we found that queue
> > depth of the device is always 1 which is unexpected.
> >
> > After investigation, it is found that commit 16914e6fc7
> > (“ovl: add ovl_read_iter()”) and commit 2a92e07edc
> > (“ovl: add ovl_write_iter()”) use do_iter_readv_writev() to submit
> > requests to real filesystem. Async IOs are converted to sync IOs here
> > and cause performance regression.
> >
> > I wondered that is this a design flaw or supposed to be.
>
> It's not theoretically difficult to fix.   The challenge is to do it
> without too much complexity or code duplication.
>
> Maybe best would be to introduce VFS helpers specially for stacked
> operation such as:
>
>   ssize_t vfs_read_iter_on_file(struct file *file, struct kiocb
> *orig_iocb, struct iov_iter *iter);
>   ssize_t vfs_write_iter_on_file(struct file *file, struct kiocb
> *orig_iocb, struct iov_iter *iter);
>
> Implementation-wise I'm quite sure we need to allocate a new kiocb and
> initialize it from the old one, adding our own completion callback.

Isn't it "just" a matter of implementing ovl-aops and
generic_file_read/write_iter() will have done the aio properly?

I don't remember at what state we left the ovl-aops experiment [1]
IIRC, it passed most xfstests, but had some more corner cases to
cover.

Jiufei,

If you are interested, you can try out the experimental code [2] to
see how it plays with aio, although since readpages/writepages
are not implemented, overall performance may not be better
(or even worse).

Thanks,
Amir.

[1] https://marc.info/?l=linux-unionfs&m=154995908004146&w=2