Re: [4.20-rc4 regression] generic/095 Concurrent mixed I/O hang on xfs based overlayfs

> > Darrick,
> >
> > This is my cue to insert a rant. You already know what I am going to rant about.
> >
> > I cannot force you to add a check -overlay xfstests run to your pull
> > request validation
> > routine. I can offer assistance in any questions you may have and I can offer
> > support for check -overlay infrastructure if it breaks or if it needs
> > improvements.
> >
> > I have checked on several recent point releases that check -overlay does not
> > regress any tests compared to xfs reflink configuration, and when I
> > found a regression
> > (mostly in overlayfs code, but also in xfs code sometimes) I reported
> > and/or fixed it.
> > But I do not have the resources to validate every xfs merge and
> > certainly not xfs-next.
> >
> > There is a large group of tests that is expected to notrun, which
> > makes running the
> > -overlay test a lot faster than any given xfs configuration and IMO
> > running just a single
> > xfs reflink config with -overlay would give a pretty good test coverage.
> >
> > So what do you say?...
>
> Frankly I'd rather push the kernelci/0day/lf/whoever folks to kick off
> fstests across all the major filesystems after the daily for-next merge
> so that we can all see if there are regressions over the previous day's
> test.  IOWs, rather than loading ourselves down with more testing
> burden, let's make it more public.
>
> I've received occasional reports from the 0day robot, but I'm not sure
> if it's testing consistently because it only ever seems to emit
> complaints, not "I love your branch and even better nothing regressed!".

That would indeed be great if we had some more knowledge about
what is being tested by 0day and friends.

Regardless, check -overlay had already found several bugs in XFS code
(I can look it up, but you know what I mean), so I argue that it would be
beneficial to you as XFS maintainer and not only to overlayfs users if
you run check -overlay on pull request branches.
Consider overlayfs as a unit test for some of the XFS VFS interfaces
that are harder (or impossible) to hit from userspace.
Besides, as I said, the cost of running check -overlay on a single reflink
config is relatively cheap, so please consider running it occasionally to be
a head of those type of bugs.

> That said, this *does* confirm Zorro's earlier point that I should give
> him a week to test xfs for-next before pushing to Linus.

It looks like between Zorro and yourself, overlayfs+xfs bugs should not
be slipping in to master anymore, so I'm happy with the way things are :-)

Thanks,
Amir.