Fwd: Re: How to access "upper" directory of overlayfs programatically

Oops... forgot that I was replying to you personally :)

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: How to access "upper" directory of overlayfs programatically
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 13:01:16 -0500
From: Jonathan Busby <jdb2@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Amir Goldstein <amir73il@xxxxxxxxx>

On 09/13/2018 12:33 PM, Jonathan Busby wrote:

On 09/12/2018 02:48 PM, Amir Goldstein wrote:
[changing over to overlayfs list]

Thanks for this! :D I had been searching for an overlayfs mailing list
but it seems I overlooked unionfs.

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 8:52 PM Jonathan Busby <jdb2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello. I'm new to this list and I don't know if this is the right forum
for my question, but, I've asked this same question on many forums and
never received an answer -- please don't flame me.

I have a Debian based Linux live system which is running out of RAM and
was booted without the "persistent" boot option, so the capser-rw
filesystem was never created.

I wish to gain access to the "upper" directory of the overlayfs
filesystem in the casper init scripts initramfs "/cow/upper" filesystem
so that I may programatically save the filesystem, hopefully without
having to re-implement cp.

I know how to commit the changes of a Debian based live CD session to a
storage device, but only if the live session in question was booted with
the "persistent" option.

I've looked at the overlayfs source code but I still can't figure out
how to accomplish what I want.

I'm sorry if this is  stupid question -- hopefully it's not.

I don't think the programmable API you think of exists, but maybe
you can get access to upper dir as admin user.

Please share the init scripts responsible for the mounts at live CD boot
and the content of /proc/self/mountinfo

The contents of /proc/self/mountinfo are can be found here :

https://pastebin.com/raw/9uQdJ66w

The init scripts responsible for the live CD mounts can be found here :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j4zqsn8avxrv6zf/initrd-scripts.tar.gz?dl=0

Thanks,

Jonathan

Thanks,
Amir.

I forgot to mention that the init scripts that handle mounting the
overlayfs chroot are located in the /scripts/casper directory, and the
main script is just called "casper".

Regards,

Jonathan