Re: PROBLEM: IMA xattrs not written on overlayfs

On Fri, 2018-09-07 at 18:49 +0200, Ignaz Forster wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently experimenting with IMA / EVM on overlayfs, however those
> don't seem to work together very well.
>
> With kernel 4.18 it was possible to at least partially use IMA. As long
> as the O_TRUNC attribute was not set during a copy_up operation
> everything seemed to work so far.
>
> Now when applying the changes from
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mszeredi/vfs.git/tag/?h=ovl-update-4.19
> (or using kernel 4.19-rc2) every file contents modification or creation
> of a new file will fail, probably because the inode reported by
> overlayfs does not match the physical inode number any more (and thus
> the IMA hashes won't be generated).
>

> A small example for reproduction (on a system with IMA appraisal):
> # OVERLAYFS_TEST_DIR=`mktemp -d`
> # mkdir "${OVERLAYFS_TEST_DIR}/upper"
> # mkdir "${OVERLAYFS_TEST_DIR}/work"
> # mount -t overlay -o lowerdir=/etc,upperdir="${OVERLAYFS_TEST_DIR}
> /upper",workdir="${OVERLAYFS_TEST_DIR}/work" overlay /etc
> #
> # rm -f /etc/test.txt
> # echo Test > /etc/test.txt
> # cat /etc/test.txt
> cat: /etc/test.txt: Permission denied
> # ls -s /etc/test.txt
> 4 /etc/test.txt # <- The contents are there
> # getfattr -m . -d /etc/test.txt
> # # <- The hash isn't

Thank you for providing the example.  Also on a linux-4.18.0-rcX test
kernel, the file hash isn't being written out either.  The builtin
"appraise_tcb" policy (eg. specified as "ima_policy=appraise_tcb" on
the boot command) has a tmpfs dont_appraise rule.

> After some debugging I'm not sure on how to continue from here. My
> assumption is that overlayfs will have to be modified, however I fail to
> see where to start.

Please make sure that you're comparing the results based on using the
same IMA policy.

Mimi