Re: Postpone copy-up until first real write?

On 06/29/2018 06:28 PM, Amir Goldstein wrote:
On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 6:35 AM, cgxu519 <cgxu519@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi guys,

I have a simple question about copy-up timing after implementing stacked
file operation.
Could we postpone copy-up until first real write happens?

The background is consuming much time on open is unexpected for some of our
applications.

I need this behavior as well for snapshots.
On first glance it looks feasible to me.
Seems like we could relax copy up on open(O_RDWR) if there were no special
open flags (O_TRUNC, O_CREATE, O_APPEND...), then mask out O_ACCMODE
if opening a lower inode and defer copy up to ovl_real_fdget_meta() in case the
O_ACCMODE flags of file and real->file don't match.

Then we can introduce ovl_real_fdget_read() call to be used in ovl_read_iter()
and ovl_copyfile() (in_file) in which cases the mismatch O_ACCMODE flags
doesn't need to be corrected with copy up.

Miklos? Does this sound reasonable to you?

Chengguang,

Will you take a swing at implementing this if there are no holes found
in the plan?
Sure, I'll do if the behavior is welcomed.

Do you know if your applications typically open files with O_RDWR? any
other flags?
Deferring copy up to first write with O_WRONLY seems a bit more tricky.

Most of them open with O_RDWR but I'm not sure there is no O_WRONLY with complain in the future. :-/

Thanks,
Chengguang