Re: readdir returns d_type=DT_UNKNOWN to overlay exported dir (NFSv3)

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 5:06 PM, Eddie Horng <eddiehorng.tw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Eddie,
>>
>> I rebased and push branch ovl-xino [1] to my github, it includes the
>> fix you already
>> tested.
>>
>> If your proprietary filesystem does not implement the operation encode_fh()
>> and uses the default 32INO encoding then you don't have to specify any new
>> mount option. If it implements its own file handle encoding, you need to specify
>> overlay mount option -o xino to declare that all inode numbers are
>> limited to 32bit
>> (or at least not using 64bit).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Amir.
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/amir73il/linux/commits/ovl-xino
>
> I tested ovl-xino with my proprietary filesystem and ext4, the result
> is great -- readdir returns correct d_type.
> Really thanks your effort to find root cause and provide solution so fast.
> In addition, do you plan to merge the fix or even the xino feature in 4.16?

I am not the one doing the merging. Miklos does.
I posted the fix for samefs and it could get merged to 4.16 if Miklos
has time to review it. May require some pinging from you if that doesn't
happen within a week.

xino feature is not for 4.16. It needs some more work and then I can
re-post it for 4.17.

Cheers,
Amir.