sync filesystem of overlayfs

Hi,

Recently I found syncfs and umount could not make data consistency in overlayfs.
I did some investigations and now I know synchronization didn’t directly happen
in upperdir filesystem during these operations executed in overlayfs.

I'm also confused by below comment in function ovl_sync_fs() in super.c

/* real inodes have already been synced by sync_filesystem(ovl_sb) */

In my understanding sync_filesystem(ovl_sb) can not make real inodes synced
unless delivers real superblock of upperdir filesystem to sync_filesystem().

I can’t make sure current implementation is by design or for some other reasons because
sync upperdir filesystem may be a little bit heavy especially in a large filesystem.
Could anyone give me a hint for this?

If this problem needs to be fix, I’ll try to make a patch for review.

Best Regards,
Chengguang