Re: Bug? or normal behavior? if bug, then where? overlay, vfs, xfs, or ????

On Wed, Nov 08, 2017 at 01:21:18PM -0800, L A Walsh wrote:
> Dave Chinner wrote:
> >Are you still getting all worked up about how metadata CRCs and
> >the v5 on-disk format is going to make the sky fall, Linda? It's
> >time to give in and come join us on the dark side...
> ---
>    I don't believe I've heard that the sky would fall.  I only had
> 2 issues -- 1 that metadata that I that I didn't care about or that I
> wanted to change would be crc'd and prevent changing meta data I wanted
> to change or would flag errors in meta data I didn't care about
> (file last access time being a nanosecond or a day off due to bit rot
> and crc flagging it as an error.
>
>    Maybe you might remember, I first ran into this when,  as part of
> my mkfs procedure, I assigned my own value to my disk's UUID, and at the
> time, the crc-feature claimed the disk had a fault in it.

Yes, but changing the UUID was documented as "not currently
supported" on v5 filesystems *when it was originally released*.
IOWs, it was documented as "will be supported in future", but it
wasn't a critical feature for the initial release of CRC enabled
filesystems.

If someone manually changed the UUID (which was the only way to do
it because the xfs_db commands would refuse to do it) then *it broke
the filesystem* and so it was correct behaviour to report
corruption.

Changing the UUID on v5 filesystems is now implemented and
supported:

$ sudo mkfs.xfs -f /dev/pmem0
Default configuration sourced from package build definitions
meta-data=/dev/pmem0             isize=512    agcount=4, agsize=524288 blks
         =                       sectsz=4096  attr=2, projid32bit=1
         =                       crc=1        finobt=1, sparse=0, rmapbt=0, reflink=0
data     =                       bsize=4096   blocks=2097152, imaxpct=25, thinblocks=0
         =                       sunit=0      swidth=0 blks
naming   =version 2              bsize=4096   ascii-ci=0 ftype=1
log      =internal log           bsize=4096   blocks=2560, version=2
         =                       sectsz=4096  sunit=1 blks, lazy-count=1
realtime =none                   extsz=4096   blocks=0, rtextents=0
$
$ sudo blkid -c /dev/null /dev/pmem0
/dev/pmem0: UUID="7073fe11-4b44-4160-a8a0-dec492f61a14" TYPE="xfs"
$
$ sudo xfs_admin -U generate /dev/pmem0
Clearing log and setting UUID
writing all SBs
new UUID = c3a4f999-b76a-4597-bb62-df11c5e3fc04
$
$ sudo blkid -c /dev/null /dev/pmem0
/dev/pmem0: UUID="c3a4f999-b76a-4597-bb62-df11c5e3fc04" TYPE="xfs"
$

IOWs, this problem is ancient history. Move on, nothing to see here.

>    My second issue was it being tied to the finobt feature in a way that
> precluded benchmarking changes on our own filesystems and workload.

[....]

>    I would expect that, especially since finobt would benefit more mature
> file systems more than newer ones.  While on newer file systems, finobt+crc
> comes out to about the same performance.
>
>    My issue was the inability to bench or use them separately.

<sigh>

Not an XFS problem:

$ mkfs.xfs -f -m finobt=0 /dev/pmem0
         =                       crc=1        finobt=0, sparse=0, rmapbt=0, reflink=0

Yup, crc's enabled, finobt is not. As documented in the mkfs.xfs man
page.

IOWs, We can directly measure the impact of the finobt on
workloads/benchamrks. And if we want to compare the impact of CRCs,
then 'mkfs.xfs -f -isize=512, -m crc=0 <dev>' will be directly
comparable to the above non-finobt filesystem. THis is how we
benchmarked the changes in the first place....

Cheers,

Dave.

--
Dave Chinner