Re: two questiones about overlayfs

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 3:35 PM, Miklos Szeredi <miklos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 08, 2017 at 07:01:30AM +0200, Amir Goldstein wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 9:57 AM, zhangyi (F) <yi.zhang@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> > 2. Chattr will modify lower file's attributes directly.
>> > Reproduce:
>> > # mkdir lower upper worker merger
>> > # touch lower/aa
>> > # lsattr -p lower/aa
>> >     0 --------------e---- lower/aa
>> > # mount -t overlay -o lowerdir=lower,upperdir=upper,workdir=worker overlayfs merger
>> > # chattr -p 123 merger/aa             #set project id
>> > # lsattr -p lower/aa
>> >   123 --------------e---- lower/aa
>> >
>> > If we try to set "immutable" or any other attributes, the result are consistent.
>> > Because chattr open file in RDONLY mode, so it will not trigger copyup, and then,
>> > FS_IOC_SETFLAGS ioctl will get the lower inode and modify it.
>>
>> Ouch! I guess it's a "known to some" issue.
>> Fixing this would be a pain (intercept ioctl and whitelisting readonly
>> fs specific ioctls).
>
> Fixing ioctl properly would be a pain.  But we can hack around the issue, and
> just deny it for now.
>
> See patch below

I like this, but it will require good test coverage of fs specific ioctls.
The list of filesystems that call  mnt_want_write_file() for ioctl is not short.

> (Side note: probably better just add another argument to ->d_real() instead of
> trying to cram everyting into the open_flags arg).

I was going to say that the -1 flags hack is not pretty and suggest O_REAL_INODE
open flag. With the addition of -2 I think another interenal_flags
argument is in order,
which will also replace the implicit modes of d_real() with explicit modes:
D_REAL_COPYUP, D_REAL_MATCH_INODE, D_REAL_RDONLY and now also
D_REAL_STAT and D_REAL_UPPER.

This patch makes me wonder about O_PATH.
It looks strange that f->f_inode and f->f_mapping are being set at all
for files open
with O_PATH. Indeed file_inode(f) could sometimes be used for files
open with O_PATH
(e.g. fchdir() -> inode_permission() ), but it may make more sense to
use a helper
file_path_inode(f.file) (same as locks_inode()) for those cases
instead of relying on
f->f_inode being set. No?

Amir.