Re: Unmounting lower filesystem while overlayfs uses it

On 03/10/2016 01:48 PM, Goldwyn Rodrigues wrote:
Hi,

I noticed that you can continue using overlayfs while the underlying
filesystem is unmounted. While overlayfs continues to use and show the
entries from the underlying filesystem. Howerver, /proc/mounts is
missing the lowerdir mount entry. This could be pretty confusing for
users (say for example for users looking to hot swap devices)

I traced it down to the vfs mount point being copied/cloned as opposed
to using the original one. Is there a reason why a new vfsmount is used
as opposed to using the lowerdir's vfsmount? Perhaps I did not look hard
enough, but I did not find any changes being made to the cloned lowerdir
vfsmount.

I found the changes to cloned vfsmount: MS_RDONLY flag.
So, we would have to preserve the stack[].mnt [from ovl_fill_super()] variables in ovl_fs and perform the mntput() in ovl_put_super()/ Is that okay?

--
Goldwyn