Re: Optional switching off cow in overlayfs

On 06/22/2015 01:32 PM, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 4:43 PM, Jan Olszak <j.olszak@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 06/18/2015 03:39 PM, David Howells wrote:
Jan Olszak <j.olszak@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I was wondering about a small improvement to overlayfs - optional, per
file
copy of write.

1. By default overlayfs would work as usual.
2. If a file in 'lower' filesystem has an xattr set
(e.g. trusted.overlay.cow=n) the file would not be copied.

What do you think?
Ummm.  What's the use case?  How do you handle the file being part of
multiple
overlays?

David

I wan't to achieve 'files' granularity in overlayfs instead of 'directory'
granularity.
It would be useful in Linux containers configuration. Sometimes you don't
have the
power to change the images that are run inside containers and in one folder
you have both:
- files that have to be copied
- files that don't really need to be copied

trusted.overlay.cow==n indicates switching off copying the file to the upper
layer.
So with multiple overlays you would always have only one file from the
lower-most dir.
What type filesystem is the lowest layer?   Can you set immutable on
it (chattr +i)?  That would be the logical way to say "nobody can
modify this file, not even root".

Thanks,
Miklos

The lower fs is most likely ext4.
Unfortunately making a file immutable won't solve the problem. There's nothing wrong in modifying the file and it should stay possible.

I just want to switch off copy on write for some files. Can you see another way?

If you are OK with the optional xattr, then I'll prepare the patch.

Thanks,
Jan