Re: aufs as root vor openvz CT

Hello Pete,
Thank you very much for your contribution.
I've repeatedly asked Sergey how to reproduce and the details, but got
no good answers. I hope your contribution will make the details clearer.

Hans-Peter Jansen:
> In order to perform a proper suspend/resume cycle, the CT has to arrange
> everything to the state before the suspend. Therefore, they track the opened
> files, and restore their state during resume. Layering FS (LFS) do cause
> problems in this scenario, since files opened by them don't belong to any
> application running in the container.

I'd ask generic questions (to anyone).
- Is such handling done in the container, or in the generic linux
  checkpoint/restart?
- If it is done in the generic feature, then is the linux
  checkpoint/restart feature specific to the containers?
- If not, we will be able to reproduce without any containers, no
  openvz, no old kernel.

As a first step, I need to know the detail steps to reproduce the
problem since I don't know much about suspend/resume.

> So, either define a special open flag for LFS internal fds, which, I guess, is
> rather unpopular, or define a respective fcntl, that those LFS should
> implement. Otherwise, every CT needs to detect the internal fds of every LFS
> implementation heuristically, which is the worst solution, of course.

It depends upon how CT finds the opend files.
I have another idea.
- add a notifier-chain into the suspend feature (if there is not
  currently).
- any module who opens a file internaly regists itself to the
  notifier-chain.
- when the suspend event is notified via the notifier-chain, the module
  handle it.

J. R. Okajima