Re: Trying to trace when RT FF & RR threads hit RT Throttle limit (kernel.sched_rt_runtime_us)

Hey Steve, good to hear from you.

On Mon, May 1, 2023 at 10:17 AM Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 1 May 2023 00:42:03 -0400
> Brian Hutchinson <b.hutchman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Using 5.10.69 kernel on a i.MX8 platform with isolated cpu's (isolcpus
> > on cmd line) with RT_RUNTIME_SHARE and wanting to know if (and who) is
> > hitting the RT Throttle limit.  Since my kernel does not have a
> > tracepoint for this, I used gdb and disassembled kernel/sched/rt.c to
> > find the address where throttling gets set and then added a kprobe for
> > it.
>
> Where exactly did you add this kprobe?

It was:
/sys/kernel/debug/tracing

echo 'p 0xffff8000100a8e38 %x0' > kprobe_events

Your "Fun with Dynamic Kernel Tracing Events" talk in 2018 was cool
with all those examples but you never gave examples on how to do this
kind of stuff wink, wink, ha, ha.

> > When I look at the trace I'm seeing what looks like "idle" being
> > throttled in addition to other things.  I "think" my probe is working
> > as when I look at the trace, the processes that show up look like they
> > have run over the 95% limit of one period (defaulted to 1 second) but
> > I'm confused as to why Idle shows up.
>
> Are you saying this because it's happening while idle is running?

I don't know what I'm saying.  Part of me posting was me questioning
if what I'm seeing is even valid ... but it makes more sense now that
you point out that it's a hard interrupt happening while idle.  Now I
just have to figure out which interrupt.

> > I've not ran lttng trace capturing context switches yet to see what
> > other processes might be involved around the time the throttle kicks
> > in, at the moment I'm just trying to validate I'm going after the
> > problem and setting it up the right way.
> >
> > I did identify a patch that enables a tracepoint for the rt throttle
> > but it is for RT_GROUP_SCHED and we aren't using that at the moment.
> >
> > I suspect the application I'm trying to debug has some misbehaving
> > realtime processes (not using a rt patched kernel) that are being
> > throttled so I'm trying to identify them so they can be studied and
> > made to behave better.
> >
> > If anyone has a better idea or advice on how to go about this please
> > point me in the right direction.
> >
> > Below is a sample of a trace I captured using the kprobe I mentioned
> > above when rt_throttled=1.  I don't quite understand how Idle can be 3
> > levels deep in preemption or why "idle" is even showing up.
> >
> > CPU's 1, 2 and 3 have been isolated and the application that appears
> > to be getting throttled is on core 2:
> >
> > # tracer: nop
> > #
> > # entries-in-buffer/entries-written: 592/592   #P:4
> > #
> > #                                _-----=> irqs-off
> > #                               / _----=> need-resched
> > #                              | / _---=> hardirq/softirq
> > #                              || / _--=> preempt-depth
> > #                              ||| /     delay
> > #           TASK-PID     CPU#  ||||   TIMESTAMP  FUNCTION
> > #              | |         |   ||||      |         |
> >          <idle>-0       [002] d.h3   508.964800: p_0x00000000223c0e95:
> > (sched_rt_period_timer+0x1f0/0x328) arg1=0x0
>

> Note the "d.h3", which means as the heading states, 'd' is interrupts are
> disabled, 'h' means it is running in hard interrupt context. That means,
> even though idle is the current task, an interrupt triggered, and this is
> running in interrupt context.

As I said above, makes more sense why idle is showing up now that you
pointed that out.  This is an app that was ported from a different OS
that used a single core arch and now that's its on multicore arch
(quad core A53's) with SMP Linux, I think there are some old school
disable interrupts/preempt critical section areas that are going to
need to be reworked ... which is one of the reasons I believe it was
necessary to pin the apps to an isolated core on the i.MX8 to get them
to even run.

> I see it's running sched_rt_period_timer() which calls
> do_sched_rt_period_timer(), and if you look at that function, it does
> for_each_cpu(i, span), checking other CPUs to see if it should be throttled
> or not.

... about that.  I screwed up and meant to say scheduler features is
set to NO_RT_RUNTIME_SHARE in the original post as I've read there is
some weirdness on "what" sched_rt_runtime_us means ... a limit on the
system as a whole (all cpu's) or each individual cpu. I "believe" the
way I'm running it is each individual cpu gets sched_rt_runtime_us for
realtime stuff.

> It's not throttling idle, but the interrupt running on the idle CPU noticed
> that an RT task needs to be throttled.

The trace all appears to be cpu2 context at the moment.  So now I just
need to figure out how to tell which interrupt it is.

Thanks Steve.

Regards,

Brian