Re: Help adding trace events to xHCI

Sarah Sharp <sarah.a.sharp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 07:25:59AM +0300, Kalle Valo wrote:
>
>> Instead of individual trace points for command I would recommend to
>> consider just pushing the whole command buffer to the trace point and
>> parse the command in trace-cmd plugin in user space. Kernel code would
>> be simpler that way.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm not familiar with all the userspace
> tools for trace events, so I didn't know about the command parser.  Is
> there documentation or a list of resources for all the userspace trace
> event plugins?  If so, can you give us a pointer to it?

For ath6kl I started writing (but did not finish yet) a simple python
plugin for trace-cmd. I really like the idea of implementing of
implementing the parser with python, it's so much faster and more
convenient. I haven't published the plugin yet so that's not going to
help you right now.

But trace-cmd documentation about python plugins should give some ideas
how to use python:

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/rostedt/trace-cmd.git/tree/Documentation/README.PythonPlugin

And as usual, Johannes is a good source of information ;)

--
Kalle Valo