Re: trace-cmd library: Add ZSTD support.

On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 00:01:50 +0100
Sebastian Andrzej Siewior <sebastian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Steven mentioned that trace-cmd recently gained compression support. I
> suggest to remove zlib since there is no real benefit to use this
> compression algorithm.

One benefit is to just have a test case for multiple versions. And who
knows, if it is an easy implementation, perhaps there's something that
needs it in a very limited embedded environment? Does it really hurt
keeping it, even though it may never be used?

> It might make sense to use zstd while dumping the per-CPU data files
> disks before the trace.dat is written. It probably makes sense to use
> zstd by default instead of storing the .dat file uncompressed.

I have a patch that does the compression by default. I'm holding off
pushing it until I finished my testing of the compressed versions.

Thanks Sebastian for this update!

-- Steve