Re: libtraceevent and copy in linux/tools

On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 20:09:25 -0700
Ian Rogers <irogers@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> libtracefs [1] has a dependency on tep_vwarning which is declared in
> libtraceevent [2]. The libtraceevent in linux/tools lacks this [3] and
> so trace-cmd, that requires libtracefs, can only be built with the
> separate libtraceevent. I'm trying to avoid having two libtraceevent.
> Should the copy in linux/tools be updated or should I not be using
> that any more?

Yes, the libtraceevent in the linux kernel is deprecated, and once
libtraceveent is available in all major distros (from the separate
library), we will be removing it from the kernel and having perf use
the library version.

-- Steve