Re: Getting libtraceevent into a packaged library

On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 11:51:12 +0900
Namhyung Kim <namhyung@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 4:01 AM Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > What's the next step to get this into a package so that perf,
> > trace-cmd, power-top, rasdaemon, uftrace, and whatever does not need to
> > have its own copy of the code, but instead link to it.
> >
> > Note, the interface has changed since other tools copied it, and I'm
> > willing to help anyone out in porting to the package.
>
> For uftrace, I think it needs to keep the copy of the code for a while
> since it should support older versions of distros as well.
> I'll add a runtime dependency check for libtraceevent and use
> the new APIs if exists.

What do you mean by support older distros? You mean older distros
not having the library (a user could always just download the source
code and compile it themselves :-) Or handling the trace events,
because libtraceevent should be able to handle older kernels.

-- Steve